Saturday, November 12, 2011

Musings on Education and Technology

Some random and unrelated thoughts on education and technology:

  • I do think that social software and technology can and should be used differently in elementary schools, high schools, and higher education. I think it is possible to use the same technology in very different ways, to meet the needs of the different student populations. For example, the iPad is currently being used in some K-12 settings with targeted lesson plans using a variety of educational apps. See www.apptivities.org for some examples. I am currently using the same technology to read all the PDFs for all of my grad school classes.
  • The SWOT article by Schroeder, Minocha and Schneidert addressed some of the strengths of using social technology, and it specifically addressed the benefits of class blogs. “The use of blogs helped students to provide each other with social support” ( p. 164). I have found that the blogs for both this class, and one of my other classes, have really added an extra layer of depth to our weekly readings, and I have enjoyed that as a class we have been able to communicate with each other, and support each other through that medium, more so than we tend to do during our weekly class times.
  • Social software and technology is not just limited to classroom use. It also has a place in educator professional development. I recently read a case study about a series of live, online short-courses which were designed for teacher professional development. A majority of the educators indicated that the opportunity to interact and collaborate with each other was one of the most positive aspects of that format. Teachers were able to share best practices with colleagues from across the country, which provided a richer experience than if they had simply attended a PD workshop at their own school. This ties in to something Facer and Sandford mentioned in The next 25 years: “People are likely to become more familiar with, and more used to, working together at a distance” (p.84).
  • That same article left a lasting impression on me with this phrase: Over the coming 20 years, the monopoly of the “school” or the “university” as the sole sites of education may be profoundly challenged, leading to an examination of what it means to be an educational institution” (p. 86). I would love to discuss this topic in class. What would be potential future alternatives to school, and university? I can’t think of anything now, but maybe I’ll come up with something by Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine!
    Thanks for your post. I guess we both have been getting good experiences out of the blogging activity from our classes! That's great!

    I guess when you say you are using the same app to read your grad school PDFs you are referring to the blog post from Jan 21st on iBooks. I remember talking to you about it and how you really enjoy it. I don't remember if I told you about other apps (and I know I said I would get back to you on that) but I heard Good Reader and Cloud Readers are good. Here is a link that focuses on apps for reading PDFs and what not:
    http://www.labnol.org/software/ipad-pdf-reader-apps/13807/

    Not that I have an iPad but I found the article useful. hahaha maybe some day I can really take advantage of the above article when I get one...if I ever do.... :(

    I was also VERY intrigued by the notion of our traditional educational institutions being challenged in the upcoming years from Facer's (2010) article. I am assuming virtual schools as you mentioned in your latest post is a form that is in transition now (which is more prevalent in work environments for training across states, borders and nations). Maybe robots and holograms could be added features in the virtual environment...I would LOVE to see what people wrote about the future CMCs in Songlak's class discussion that we had a while ago. I know Lindsey talked about a built in chip in our arms and stuff but maybe some people thought of alternative educational institutions or environments.

    ReplyDelete